Saturday, July 16, 2011

Some Men Bring Flowers

My sweet husband knew I was disappointed to only have received three chicks, so when he walked in the door yesterday afternoon, he came bearing a fluffy little Rhode Island Red.  I had been worried that I wouldn't be able to find a chick near enough in age to my girls this time of year.  Most feed stores carry them as a spring item, and Craigslist hadn't turned up a thing.  I knew of one place that had been promising a second shipment of chicks, but none had been delivered.  However, he tracked her down, picked her up, and came in all smiles with my new little peep!  What a good man!  Meet Penny, our newest (and final) chick.




I had read that integrating a new bird into an existing flock can be difficult on the new girl.  I was hoping because mine were all so young that we wouldn't have any problems.  Hens have a very distinct pecking order (where the term originated) and an addition or deletion can upset things.  Sure enough, and true to form, Penny was circled and given a few good pecks.  We all watched and intervened as much as we could, but this social hierarchy is very much a part of chicken life and they had to work it out amongst themselves.  There is only so much an outsider can do.  Fortunately, it didn't last long and Penny is now an accepted part of the flock.  And, I'm certain she knows her place at the bottom of the totem pole.  

She has so far turned out to be one of our sweeter chicks.  She seems to have imprinted on Brad, and if you know my husband, this is pause for a good laugh.  He is not the mother hen type.  She jumps right into his hands and comes when he calls.  Apparently, it was love at first sight.

2 comments:

  1. Love it :) By the way, how I was I totally unaware that you had a new blog?? Where have I been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Caribbean, my friend! See what happens when you go on vacation?!? Monumental things, I assure you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...