Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Syrup

You know those days, right?  The days it pours a cold, soaking rain, and everyone has to be somewhere different by an unreasonably early time with healthy lunches, warm jackets, and matching socks?  I don't typically mind, but that's because I usually make myself a warm cup of cappuccino to go, and situate myself behind the wheel of the car and sip the chaos away.  Not so this morning.  We were just too many fractions of seconds too late for such luxuries.  And by luxuries, I mean, of course, things that pertain to any sort of nourishment for yourself beyond a few fork-fulls of last night's leftovers because they were the closest thing within reach when you opened the refrigerator for those juice boxes.  Sigh.  So, here's my consolation: fuzzy socks inside my rainboots, and happy thoughts of a homemade pumpkin spice latte on the flip side.

Don't get me wrong.  I love my children and the chaos their self-centered lives bring to mine.  I don't tote them everywhere or to everything because I'd miss them, but they do attend school, and that fact, coupled with today's fabulous weather, require a cup of comfort.

There she is.  The flip side.

A talented friend of mine is a serious baker with a knack for all things yummy.  She recently posted an entry at www.themixingbowldiary.com for a Pumpkin Spice Syrup that I knew I had to try.  She gives credit to Baker Girl for the recipe, but regardless of where it came from, it's delicious and the most delectable ingredient in the above latte.  It is, in fact, much better (and better for you) than what you'll find at any Starbucks.

Pumpkin Spice Syrup
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/4 cup water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  
Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the syrup thickens just slightly.  Remove from heat and pour into a heat-proof container.  It will continue to thicken as it cools.  
Keep it refrigerated.
At this point, and any hereafter, it is perfect for adding to coffee, lattes, steamed milk, or used in any number of infinitely creative ways.

So, there you have it.  I'll share the secret to today's cup of comfort.

As for the fuzzy socks, get your own.

1 comment:

  1. love it. love the fuzzy socks inside the rain boots too. I have been wearing my rain boots for days it seems, and now I have to pull out snow boots. It has snowed, if you can believe it. Its only OCT!!! And more to come. And I am with you, I make a latte, and drizzle in some of this syrup..and it all seems ok.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...