Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rookie Mistake

Our trash can potatoes were looking rather wilted, so we decided the time must surely be right to dump our tubs and see what we had hiding beneath the mangle of vines.  It turns out that wilted is not dead enough to signal developed tubers.  We had potatoes, most definitely, but they were smallish and immature.  If curiosity had not gotten the better of me, and I had followed my own advice, I very well may have had a more robust crop.


I am also thinking that my choice in seed potatoes contributed to the puny harvest.  I used what I had in the pantry which came from my neighborhood grocery store.  Remember that video on organic produce I posted here?  Not fabricated.  See the results below.


I'm no quitter.  When your dreams consist of things like tubs of homegrown potatoes, you always try again.

The moral of the story?  Patience, young Jedi.  And, Jedis should not plant industrially farmed potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. funny, we couldn't wait any longer either and dumped one of our pots of potatoes. there was one large-ish one, but the others def. needed more growing time. I still have some out there that I am trying to hold off on...but i get really excited about them and want to dig them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not alone. Must....wait....longer next time. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...